Sunday, July 5, 2009

We came, we camped, we conquered!

Mason, OH, meet Holiday World. It's no secret that camping isn't exactly my first choice of recreation, so when the family decided to spend a weekend in Santa Claus, Indiana camping and hitting Holiday World amusement park, let's say I was not the most excited person in the house. However, the kids were counting down the days and very excited to see the sites.
We had originally planned to drive the van behind Grandma and Grandpa's RV, but in the end that just seemed silly, so we decided to hop in at the last minute and go together. Riding in the RV might have been the kids favorite part of the trip!

Neily and Grandma passed the time by playing cards, Grandma taught Neily how to play Hearts.

And Jackster, well, he passed the time in one of only two ways he knows how:


On the way- road rules don't apply to RVs! This was during a quick food stop, I took it out the window.
We're here! Boy, Mommy was excited!

So, our little Masonite children, who are used to having their choice of 3 movie theaters, 26,000 restaurants, Lifetime Fitness, 3 neighborhood pools, 6 Target stores and anything else their little yuppie hearts desire within 15 minutes, get out of the RV at the campsite, stand there and look at Eddie and I and say, "What do we do?"
We cracked up and said, "This is it, you camp. There's nothing else."
They looked at each other for a minute, seeming very confused, and then went off to get into trouble. It was pretty darn funny.
I have to admit though, even though camping wasn't bad at all, it's the packing up and loading/unloading that I hate so much. We'd been there for five minutes and the men started unloading all of our crap, and I said to Eddie, 'WHY do people like this so much?' It's just that camping seems like so much work to me, it doesn't seem so enjoyable.


Doug will teach them in a few years that THIS is how you camp.


Next day, on to Holiday World! I was a little scared (the amusement park is exactly as it sounds- holiday themed), but it really was no different than Kings Island and the kids had a great time.


Doug saw Gayle wearing the hat while he was on a ride and motioned his request for a picture of Grandma in the famous hat. :)

Daddy and Jack in line for... something.

Me! So excited! Loving it! I love to camp! Haha!


In the end, it was a lot of fun (I promise!) and although I will never learn to love camping, the kids had a great time and I did get to take a nap in a cozy camp chair. That wasn't so bad! I did hear some chatter about camping and caves, and I'm sorry to say THAT will not be happening with me around. I don't love camping, and throw in caves and I'm outta there. That will be a great memory that my kids will have to share with Daddy alone because me in a cave will probably never happen! ;)

2 comments:

Abigail Hayden said...

Liz! You are cracking me up! Sweetie, an RV is hardly roughing it....do you want to join us up in Sleeping Bear Dunes this August for some rustic camping? That means no indoor plumbing and electricity ;)
I know its shocking but we go atleast once a year....if I can camp in a tent with no hair dryer so can you, girl!

Elizabeth said...

Me in a tent is so not going to happen. It's not even so much the actual camping part, the 'roughing' it. It's the general campground clientele that I can't handle. And dirtiness. The only way I'm getting in a tent is in my own backyard!